Tuesday 21 June 2011

Kowtow: Organic, Fairtrade, NZ Designed and Gorgeous, how could it get any better?


Kowtow was one of the first brands I found during my initial hunt for Organic/Fair Trade fashion items.
The brand is designed in Wellington, New Zealand, with a very clear desire to improve the ethics involved in the production of fashion and decrease the negative impact our desire for clothing has on the planet.
I have spent a lot of time drooling over the images on their Website
. Their designs are modern and fashionable, something organic clothing generally seems to lack in. It frustrated me that Organic and Fairtrade clothing usually meant a Pot-Smoking-Hippy styled Kaftan and Yoga pants. A style I am not personally interested in.
So when I set eyes upon the beautiful garments on the Kowtow website, I knew I had to have some of it.

When my partner and I finally had a day off together, we stopped by the Dalston store in Grey Lynn. They didn't have a lot of stock, the woman told me, as it had all sold really well. However they did have this
Tee Dress, an item I had been thinking about purchasing off the website but was hesitant without trying on first.
It was just as I'd hoped it would be. It was a great length, great style. The cotton was so soft and in a beautiful Navy.
I prefer it belted, as I like the added shape. But if I were wanting it to be more casual, I would probably wear it unbelted.

So this morning, in order to show off my new fair and organic fashion piece, I pushed all the furniture in my living room to one side, busted out the camera and pranced around in my clothes like a self-proclaimed Princess of Vanity
in my own little self-made photo shoot, praying that the neighbours couldn't see me through the lounge window.
Although I am sure I can find many ways to wear this Building Block piece, for winter I plan on simply wearing it belted with my organic cotton rib tights from the Ambra range (Available at Farmers) and my black pumps, and in summer with a tan belt and tan cork wedge heels.

The one thing I need to keep in mind, however, is that just because it is fairtrade and organic, doesn't mean it's okay to buy more than I need just because I want it. I need to remind myself to only buy things when I need them.
Did I need this Tee Dress? No. But I wanted it.
This little Executive Hippy still has a lot of self work to do in the shopping department.


Building Block Tee Dress, $125NZD available at www.kowtowclothing.com, on sale now 25% off, ends 10/7/2011, now $90.

No comments:

Post a Comment