Wednesday 4 May 2011

An Ethical Food Change

I used to be one of those people who would sit and watch all the horrible things happening in the world on TV and feel unable to do anything about it. I used to get depressed about it and thought there was nothing I could do, that I could not control all these people and stop them from hurting each other.
Then I realised that I could control something, I could control how I behave in this life and I can control what I choose to support. I could continue buying clothing from unethical sources. I could continue buying products from farmers who only get paid 1Euro a day. OR I could make a difference.

For 2 weeks from the 8th of May to the 22nd of May I will be eating only New Zealand Grown.
As we have standards here in New Zealand, I know that the farmers will be getting paid fairy.
After the 2 weeks, I will continue to make sure all my staples come from New Zealand and it is only the "Treat foods" that I am getting from elsewhere in the world.
Such as chocolate, dried spices, nuts, dried fruits and sugar - Making sure all are from Organic Fairtrade sources.

I want to start buying organic wherever possible now.

So, what New Zealand Grown Products are there?

I have actually found that there is quite a bit grown in New Zealand!
Harraways grow there oats in New Zealand, so I made a toasted oat cereal for my breakfasts.
It is very simply 5 cups of Harraway Oats, 100g butter and 1/2 cup honey. Melt the butter and the honey together, toss through the oats, then roast the oats in a roasting dish at 200 degrees for 10 minutes, tossing every 2 minutes to keep them from burning. It is very tasty and it's nice and crunchy!
It's as good as store brought muesli.
There is also an organic Rye pasta that is grown/made in New Zealand by Pasta D'Oro
which is available at Huckleberry Farms in Auckland.
I'm hoping I can also get an NZ grown flour from Huckleberry Farms as well but I didn't ask in the email so I'll see if they have it when I get to go in on Saturday.
Once I can get flour I'll be sorted for making my own bread.
I'm also a vegetarian so I was a bit worried about finding protein sources! However Pams Split yellow and green peas are grown in New Zealand and so are their red lentils!
I eat a lot of their red lentils so I was very pleased to find out it was grown in New Zealand!
And obviously I have an abundance of dairy products, being a dairy country.
I will be cooking with butter until I can find where to buy NZ Olive Oil, I know we grow/make it, I just have to find where to buy it - If you know where I can get it, leave a comment below!
I also got some Organic New Zealand Salt from the supermarket, the brand is called Mrs Rogers
.

An interesting fact, buying New Zealand grown actually saved me money... I'm guessing because I didn't buy any junk food! No more salt and vinegar chips, doritos, chocolate, ice cream...All things my body would be better off without though.

Anyway! I will blog again after I have been to Huckleberry Farms and I'll do a bit of a review on the pasta and let you know if it's any good. I'll also show off any other cool NZ Grown products I might find there! 


Any questions, comments or suggestions, please post below!

No comments:

Post a Comment